Out of the Cradle Forum Index Out of the Cradle
“The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever.” - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky (1857-1935), Russian scientist and developer of rocket propulsion theory.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China working on a Lunar Fly-by mission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trulson
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: China working on a Lunar Fly-by mission Reply with quote

A year long lunar fly-by mission might get started as early as April, 2007, according to Luan Enjie, commander-in-chief of China's lunar exploration program. After a conference for leaders of that program, Luan spoke to reporters and when asked about a manned mission to the moon, he jokingly replied, "Sending a man to the Moon? It would be a one-way ticket if we do it now, given the thrust of our rockets at present is not strong enough."

In the later part of an article on the English version of China View website, it was said that the satellite would orbit the moon collecting data.

This could be a combination of things; my layman's misunderstanding of what "fly-by" means, or once again translation problems. But, to my way of thinking, they are two different things.

The article mentions a program timetable of sorts for mile marker mission which include the first unmanned lunar landing mission in 2010 and a soil sample collecting mission scheduled around 2020.

Honoring a Chinese legend about a fairy-like creature called Chang'e who flies to the moon, this program is called Chang'e project and the first lunar orbiting satellite is named Chang'e-I.

There are times I wish I was able to read Chinese because it seems like every time they speak we get a different answer or at least a different translation of the same answer.

mark [at] outofthecradle [dot] net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgeorge1701
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Year long Fly-by Reply with quote

That really seems like an ion drive - low thrust mission that will just "pass by the moon" on its way to deep space.

Not exactly a "threat" to the USA space industry.

Whereas I applaud China's efforts - they really aren't in the Manned Lunar Landing League. Heck they aren't ready to orbit the moon yet.

More time, more spacecraft more lifting ability.

The future is open.... (for a while)

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Out of the Cradle Forum Index -> The Hangar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: